Carlos’s Winning Drink – Calina Morada
- 3/4oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 3/4 z Demerara Simple Syrup
- 1oz Chicha Morada
- 1 egg white
- 2 drops sesame oil
- 2oz Tequila Blanco
- Chicha Morada:
- 225 grams dried Peruvian purple corn on the cob (approximately 2 medium-sized ears)
- 2 liters water
- 1 stick cinnamon (about 4 to 5 inches long)
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 green apples
- 1 pineapple (Only the skin and core)
Gather the ingredients. Rinse the ears of purple corn under the faucet. Place the ears, plus any stray grains that may have fallen off, in a large pot add water, cinnamon, cloves, cut up apples and pineapple skin and core. Put the pot over high heat on the stove; once the water reaches the boiling point, reduce the heat to medium-low. Allow this to boil for about 50 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and allow it to cool down until safe to handle. Strain the liquid through a fine strainer into a pitcher. Chill the chicha and is ready to use for the cocktail.
- Grated cinnamon on top
- In a cocktail shaker add all ingredients.
- Dry shake first.
- Ice shake after and double strain into chilled coupe glass.
- Garnish with grated cinnamon on top and enjoy.
Carlos Ruiz is an Agave Spirit Specialist at Fedway Associates.